I’ve been doing mostly 2d stuff, but getting in to some 3d (really 2.5d) as well.
For the table, I have a 3/4″ plywood base which is attached to the framework underneath. I then used this slat wall stuff from Menards, and inserted the aluminum strips in it and screwed it all down to the plywood underneath. So far I’ve been pretty happy with how this is working out. I was able to surface the slat wall so I have a perfectly flat working surface. The hold downs were made on the machine too, and I used a set of slightly modified toilet bolts with the plastic knobs for the bolts.
The “V” rollers were a cheap and easy design, but after using it for a while, I’ve come to the conclusion that they just aren’t up to par, especially on the X and Z axis. They need to be preloaded too much to keep the slop out of them, and with this preload, they can wear out the surface of the roller and rail.
I’ve recently upgraded the Z axis to HiWin Linear Rails, and they are great. Very smooth, and solid as a rock.
More HiWin linear rail is on the way, and I plan to replace the X axis shortly. I think the Y axis will stay using the “V” roller design for now. I’ll probably add more rollers to distribute the load, which will also add more strength. I was never really happy with the carriage design that linked the Z and X axis, but with the new linear rail, I think I’ll be set.