I’ve been doing mostly 2d stuff, but getting in to some 3d (really 2.5d) as well.
For the table, I have a 3/4″ plywood base which is attached to the framework underneath. I then used this slat wall stuff from Menards, and inserted the aluminum strips in it and screwed it all down to the plywood underneath. So far I’ve been pretty happy with how this is working out. I was able to surface the slat wall so I have a perfectly flat working surface. The hold downs were made on the machine too, and I used a set of slightly modified toilet bolts with the plastic knobs for the bolts.
The “V” rollers were a cheap and easy design, but after using it for a while, I’ve come to the conclusion that they just aren’t up to par, especially on the X and Z axis. They need to be preloaded too much to keep the slop out of them, and with this preload, they can wear out the surface of the roller and rail.
I’ve recently upgraded the Z axis to HiWin Linear Rails, and they are great. Very smooth, and solid as a rock.
More HiWin linear rail is on the way, and I plan to replace the X axis shortly. I think the Y axis will stay using the “V” roller design for now. I’ll probably add more rollers to distribute the load, which will also add more strength. I was never really happy with the carriage design that linked the Z and X axis, but with the new linear rail, I think I’ll be set.
I’ve been playing around with the software a little bit and seeing what I can do. This is just another small example of the machine moving around.
Finally got to see it move on its own. I’m using the free LinuxCNC software to control the system. It is being driven by a Leadshine MX4660 controller.
Now I’ve got some little odds and ends to tidy up such as a mount for the router and cleaning up on the wiring.
Then I need to start focusing on learning how to create my own designs…
Just a quick video showing the home switch operation.
Not much to see here, just showing how I mounted the stepper motors.
Things are slowly coming together, I have the mainframe done and I’m starting work on the gantry. I have the dual lead screws installed for the Y axis. Next on my agenda is to work on the X axis.
I used some of the extruded aluminum as a jig to weld the 7/16″ square stock into the edges of my quarter inch steel rail.